This program may be completed as a standalone endorsement or through the Master of Education in Leadership, Teaching, and Learning program.
Why Earn Your ESL Endorsement?
With an increase in the English language learner (ELL) population throughout the Midwest, many schools are choosing ESL-endorsed teachers. With this endorsement, a teacher can advance to positions within their district like an ESL coordinator, or ESL facilitator that often comes with advanced pay and responsibilities.
Please, note: It is not a requirement that you speak or know another language to enroll in this program.
Throughout the 12-month program, Midland students pursuing an ESL endorsement will gain strategies and techniques for working with diverse student populations in a range of settings for immediate application.
This endorsement is completed at the graduate level, provided the student holds a teaching certificate. Individuals with this endorsement may teach English as a Second Language (ESL) in the grade levels that they are prepared. This can be a PK-12, PK-6, or 7-12 endorsement.
The Midland ESL Endorsement will help you become an educator that promotes the success and well-being of every ELL by:
- Knowing, understanding, and using the major theories and research related to the structure and acquisition of language to help English Language Learners (ELLs) develop language and literacy and achieve in the content areas.
- Knowing, understanding, and using major concepts, principles, theories, and research related to the nature and role of culture and cultural groups to construct supportive learning environments for ELLs.
- Knowing, understanding, and using evidence-based practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing standards-based ESL and content instruction.
- Demonstrating an understanding of issues and concepts of assessment and use standards-based procedures with ELLs.
- Utilizing research and policy and understanding current issues to improve curriculum, instruction, and assessment of the ELL.
- Working collaboratively with school staff and the community to improve the learning environment, provide support, and advocate for ELLs and their families
Throughout the 12-month, 100% online ESL endorsement program, students will complete five courses (15 credits) and 60+ field hours*. Classes begin five times throughout the year and students can choose to start courses in August, October, January, March, or June of each year.View Course Descriptions
Already taken some ESL courses?
Midland does allow students to transfer previous graduate-level ESL coursework into this program. Connect with an advisor to discuss any previous coursework completed to see if it may transfer.Connect Now